Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff

In the fitness world, there are tons of small, extra things you can do here and there that may give you some added benefits. From fasted cardio to what kind of pre-workout, these are not going to make crazy amounts of difference in training. There are times when yes, a fat burner may be helpful, but it isn’t going to make you lose 80 lbs. Knowing what to focus on and what not to focus on are very important in the beginning.

What to Focus On

The types of food you are eating, how often you workout, and how hard you push yourself are what make up 80-90% of training. By eating the right foods and keeping track of what you’re eating, you will see plenty of success starting out. Get some quality protein, some good carbs, and a little bit of fat in every meal, and you are off to a very good start.

The biggest aspect of training is consistency. You can be on the best program in the world, but if you are only following it 50% of the time, you are not going to see any success. Showing up is always more important than showing out. If 80% of your training sessions are just killing it and the other 20% you at least show up, then you are well on your way to whatever it is your goal is.

What Not to Focus On

Supplements that are not creatine, whey protein, or caffeine. These are the big 3 that have the most research supporting their effectiveness. There are hundreds of supplements on the market that have mixed research on them. At the end of the day, whether your pre-workout has beta-alanine or not is probably not going to ruin all of your results. However, eating a donut every day absolutely will.

What type of cardio you should be doing. Whether it is HIIT, steady-state, or a Metcon, depends on what you like to do. If you enjoy running, then you should run. If you hate cardio, you should probably go short and fast like HIIT. If you enjoy lifting weights or do CrossFit movements, then a MetCon would be perfect. Choose whatever you like to do and go ahead and do it. Don’t get wrapped up in all of the extra crap that comes along with it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s